Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Taking It To the Street

Well it's official. Three friends and I have officially signed up for our 5k. We are The Frenetic Four (an inside joke of a name that would not make sense or be funny to anyone else even if I explained it). And this, and the crazy 68 degree break in the recent Artic temps, inspired me to hit the streets today in preparation.

Holy mother of running shoes the treadmill just doesn't cut it, does it folks? I knew this. But I had forgotten. My legs and lungs certainly have. And I know it is totally a mental thing taking me back to my basketball suicide running days of high school, but I cannot get my breathing right. Oy. To the vey.

But I made it. Just under two miles at the sluggish and slow pace of 16/mile. You know, slightly faster than turtles and slugs. But I kept going. I had to walk some but I kept going. I'm beginning to believe more and more that running is about 99% mental and 1% physical. So I'm going to pray about it and think positively and make it happen. I'm going to finish the race. I may be slow and I may walk some but I'm crossing that finish line.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." (Hebrews 12:1 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment