Friday, January 11, 2013

Back at It

Thanks to the power of the Z-pack, steroids and a day off work I was back to Zumba last night.  A great one hour work out-in which I actually found myself helping to lead the class for three songs since one of our instructors was out sick.

Now let me say that I am not, in many ways, a shy person.  Around attractive men, maybe.  In fact my closest friends think it's hilarious that I basically morph into a retiring mute when I'm around a guy I like. This is pretty much an antithesis of my actual personality-I have no issues in other areas of my life being the center of attention.  I'm a dancer, singer, have been in plays, and enjoy telling stories and getting laughs.

But, aside from the hotties, for some reason getting up in front of a group of peers trying to show them how to dance freaks me out.  I can just picture them all saying:

"What is SHE doing up there?"

"She's not a professional."

"She certainly isn't a picture of fitness and health-why am I watching her?"

This is, of course, all in my head as all the ladies in my class are very nice and actually quite supportive of those that are asked to get up there and shake it in the spotlight.

And last night, I was ok with it too.  I just thought, you know what, I've come a long way!  I know these dances back and forth and I love doing them so I just let it go.  I shook and shimmied and sung along and sweated my butt off (a phrase I often wish was not just a figure of speech as I have quite the badonkadonk).

To me that's one of the best things that has come with my weight loss-a greater acceptance of myself in all social situations.  I'm ok-I'm not perfect, nor do I have the perfect body and I probably never will but I am working on both.   And I'm proud of me-the real me-and ok with letting people see it.  And that's ok too.

No comments:

Post a Comment